Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Weekly Grind - Thunder Rolls

Twelve years ago, I needed a car with good mileage for a 104-mile round trip commute to work. Knowing that I would be putting a lot of miles on this car, I really considered it to be disposable. I'm also pretty cheap anyway, so I was looking for something inexpensive. No bells and whistles, just basic transportation. What I found has become "Blue Thunder."

After years of high mileage daily trips for me and then Sherri, our daughter Brooke drove it during high school. That's where the name came from. It is blue and it has quite a few and shakes as well. Then I got Thunder back. Then Alex drove it for a while. Then Sherri again. And then me again. A couple of years ago, the mileage rolled over 200,000. Through all this, we have never had to do any major mechanical repairs. Now there are plenty of things that don't work, most notably the air conditioner for the last couple of years, but it just keeps rolling. I may sound like I'm joking when I say I'll drive it until the wheels fall off. But I'm serious. Then I'll put the wheels back on and see how far it goes after that.

I don't drive it nearly as much as I used to since I got a motorcycle. But when it is really rainy, really cold, or the dreaded combination of the two, I roll in Thunder. If I need to haul some stuff around or take my bicycle or kayak somewhere, Thunder is ready. Not very pretty, not all that comfortable, but ready to take me and my stuff where I want to go.

In the last few years, Thunder has taken on some ministry work. For a few individuals and a couple of families, Thunder was a way to get around when they were in a bind. She just started a new gig this week. I heard a friend's car had quit on him. When I offered Thunder, his reaction was, "Are you SERIOUS?" I assured him I was. This little car of mine, which could be accurately called a "pile of junk." is making someone's life closer to normal right now.

This has been a response to groups of Christians I know who live in shared community. They share a house and living expenses with each other and their neighborhood, trying to live closer to the ideas that Jesus taught and the early Christians attempted of "holding all things in common, that none would be in need." One said, "when somebody shows up with a car, we're like 'Woo! Hoo! We've got a car!"

I've had Blue Thunder appraised to see what its worth. It is technically worthless in the automotive market. The few hundred bucks I might be able to get for it is nothing compared to what it means to someone who needs it, including me. I'm not interested in ever having another car payment or a full coverage insurance bill. Many of the things that we consider necessities are simply earthly desires. These desires take a toll on our ability to lead a life as Christ taught. Blue Thunder actually fills many worthwhile roles while also being somewhat of an inspiration in my opinion.

Find your way to serve. You may feel small, weak, or worn out, but you have a purpose that is exactly what someone else needs. Make some choices that make you uncomfortable. Not for the sake of discomfort, but for the sake of others.

Be Blessed!
Michael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home