Saturday, June 06, 2009

Bucket List

There was a movie a couple of years ago with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman called "The Bucket List" that I really enjoyed. The basic story is that a couple of guys with terminal illnesses and not much time left make a list of things they would like to do before they die or "kick the bucket." It was funny, sad, inspirational and motivating for many that saw it.

Time began to speed up for me back in high school and, except for a very brief period before the arrival of my second child, has continued to accelerate. Life hasn't slowed down with both kids becoming adults in the last few years, but I have had taken the time to re-visit and re-evaluate some of my big goals and dreams for my life. With that in mind, Sherri and I made bucket lists last week to get a fresh look at things.

Various ideas had been rolling around in my head about which kinds of things to list and what kind of order they should be in. I took about an hour or so one morning to think it through and then spent about 15-20 minutes making my list. Getting something written down has a way of freeing my mind and so later that day I added a few more items and also made a "Done" section. Here I added experiences and accomplishments that would have made the list earlier in my life. Things like: "marry for love," "have great kids," "be in a band," "skydive," etc.

Trying to figure out what to do first pretty much falls in line with how physical the task may be and what the associated costs are. Some trips like: "go to Mt. Everest base camp" and "visit all the continents" or giving such as: "give away a car" or "give away a house" that I'd like to do will require many years of adjusted financial planning to pull off. Others such as "run a marathon" or "do a triathlon" have only required that I turn off the TV and start training. There are a handful of shows I really enjoy, but looking at my list as well as those of others, I didn't see "watch some good TV shows" anywhere. I also didn't notice "spend hours surfing the internet" or "drive at a breakneck pace between too many activities for each member of the family that we're not actually enjoying our time together and also spending a ridiculous amount of money in the process." I'm looking at my list in terms of 5 years, 10 years, 20, 30, and 40 years. That will put me into my early 80's. If I'm done by then, I'll start another list.

As I wrote last week: we all get a day every day, but eventually we run out. God has gifted us with time and a great world and lots of people in our lives. Take some time to make your own list and be sure to add the "Done" section. Talk to people about your list and ask them about theirs. Share ideas and help each other out. Look back favorably on yesterday, enjoy what you do today, and look forward to tomorrow.

Be Blessed!
Michael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home