Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Weekly Grind - Schedules & Deep Roots

Between my phone alarm and Google Calendar (which sends me text reminders) I have a lot of reminders to stay connected to my personal spiritual practices throughout the day, week, month, and year. These include prayer, reading scripture, meditation, devotionals, worship, fellowship, retreat, and fasting. I'm not a stickler for specific times, but I do notice when I'm trying to do too much or not getting enough.

My buddy Steve Heyduck posted a blog in which he shares that watering your lawn is best done with occasional deep watering. This encourages deep roots and the ability to survive times of drought. He then asks how we might use this in regard to our spirituality.

Tying into that: we've got an ivy that I gave to Sherri over a decade ago. She has killed many plants over the years and this was the hardiest one I could find. It survived our initial neglect and eventually I started making clippings to spread to other pots. The original plant has now been spread to at least 12 different planters in various states of health. I've got them spread all around the house, my office, and the youth room at church. I've over-watered several of them, killed several along the way, and have some that just keep thriving in the right combination of light & watering. The occasional watering seems to be the most successful. Whenever I see them wilting, I water, & they bounce back; seemingly even stronger. The vine thickens and the leaves are broader. So apparently a little thirst does them some good.

In whatever ministry we find ourselves connected to, we do need to find a balance between doing too much and doing too little. Neither properly serves those we seek to serve. And if our own spiritual depth is lacking, we must change. Initially for ourselves, but further to have the strength to serve those to whom we are called. Serving is not a substitute for minding our own spiritual health, though it can be part of the process. And personal spiritual strength is not fully realized if we don't serve.

Be Blessed!
Michael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home