Thursday, May 07, 2009

Summer Camp Memories

One of my cousins posted a picture one Faceook of a bunch of us heading to summer camp. I now live just a few miles away from there and wrote in Jan 07 about visiting there again. I found it in my Myspace & Xanga blogs.
<a href="http://ping.fm/Tz1Gv">http://ping.fm/Tz1Gv</a>

Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Weekly Grind - A Good Bike
Category: Religion and Philosophy

When people see me on my motorcycle at this time of year, they often express concern about the temperature. Rest assured, with my riding gear on, I am quite comfortable. Now if it is below forty degrees and I don't put on all my gear, it can be a bit chilly. But I can handle it for a few miles. I am really enjoying my bigger bike. It's got a large fairing to block the wind, big saddlebags to haul whatever I need, and plenty of power to go wherever I want to go. I've taken a couple of short tours around the area and they both got me thinking about my younger days.

I few weeks ago I went out to what used to be Camp Val Verde. I spent some summer weeks there with a youth group as a youngster. We did lots of swimming, crafts, archery, & horseback riding. One of the most interesting things about going back to a childhood place is the new sense of space you get. Most of the time places seem much smaller when you return years down the road. As I rode around the camp I found a treasure. The two-story cabin. I don't think it was used on the weeks I was there. If so, it must have been older kids that were there. There were lots of stories about the fun that happened there. At the end of one week, I tagged along to go jump from the second story loft onto a huge pile of mattresses below. Letting go of that rail was one of those "man-maker moments" along the lines of jumping off a high dive board, or walking through the woods alone. I must have been very young and small because now, as an adult, I could see the drop was only about seven or eight feet. Regardless, it was a big moment from my childhood.

On another sunny day I took a ride to Meridian State Park. I've heard it was very nice and I was in the mood for a little distance. I packed a lunch and grabbed a book, hoping to find a nice place to sit for a while. I wasn't disappointed. There are some tiny cliffs overlooking the small lake there. Warm sun, light breeze, and fragrant cedars made for a pleasant stay. I don't always understand the way memories work, but I got to thinking about one of my first bicycles. I had several hand-me-down bikes once I learned how to ride. Then one Christmas I got my first brand new bicycle, just for me. Shiny purple paint, twenty-inch wheels, big banana seat, high handlebars. This bike took me places. I felt like I could go anywhere on it. One of best memories I have is with some of my older cousins. We set up a ramp at the top of a little hill leading down to my grandpa's barn. We then competed to see who could jump the most old tires laid out flat. I think the record was seven.

Years after I had moved up to a ten-speed road bicycle, I ran across my now old and rusting bike out behind our workshop. The tires were gone, the rims were bent, the replacement seat was ripped open. I had harvested parts for my brother's bike, using anything of value. I had literally ran the wheels off of that bike. It had taken me places I wanted to go, but couldn't keep up. It was what I needed for a time and served me well. I remember thinking, "That was a good bike."

There is a good balance to find between the past and the future. Our faith, like most things in our life, needs to grow and change as time goes by. Our growth from the past can't satisfy our need to keep growing in the present and future. God continues to call us to His plans for our lives. Progressing in our faith will still take leaps of faith and steps out of our comfort zone. But the trip is worth it. So is our God.

Blessings!
Michael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home