Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Pub Church Week 6 - Where Is God When You Hurt?

We had a couple more first time people this week, which is great.
There was a collective effort of sharing, which is also great.

Caryn led by talking about some times in her life when she has been in pain with some real need for healing. Sometimes people who try to help can end up making you feel worse. Like you have brought this on yourself, or that if you just pleased God with the right kind of faith you'd be all better.

She shared a couple of songs that helped her stay connected to God and brought her some comfort. I'll add here that she added some great fonts to the lyric sheets she handed out and her ipod speakers had shifting-colored lights that pulsed to the music for a full multi-media experience.

There Are Days by Nickel and Dime

There are days when my heart is heavy and I can't go on
and there are times when it feels like the world is caving in
and pain is something that I know too well
the hurts of the world seem to be part of the ride

I wanna know your life when times are hard and heavy Lord
I wanna know you're there when I'm all alone
I wanna look in your eyes and see the passion of home
when home seems to be just a figment of my imagination

there are days when I can't put a finger on how I'm feelin'
and there are times I wanna crawl in a hole and refuse this day
but this is not what you have called me to
so teach me Lord to live this life just like you

Rolling River God by Nichole Nordeman

Rolling river God
Little stones are smooth
Only once the water passes through
so, I am a stone
Rough and grainy still
Trying to reconcile this river's chill

But when I close my eyes
And feel You rushing by
I know that time brings change
And change takes time
And when the sunset comes
My prayer would be this one
That You might pick me up
And notice that I am
Just a little smoother in Your hand

Sometimes raging wild
Sometimes swollen high
Never have I known this river dry
The deepest part of You
Is where I want to stay
And feel the sharpest edges wash away

I was reminded of the scripture in which John the Baptist says, "He must become greater; I must become less." This is also sometimes paraphrased as, "Less of me, more of Him."

We talked about how beautiful smooth stones on a beach are. But to get that way takes a lot of wearing down. The sharp points and harsh edges are slowly worn away. The rock is much more pleasing to look and especially to hold. It is less than it was, but something more beautiful has been revealed.

Scott and Colin wrapped us up with a great acoustic version of "All You Need Is Love." Well said John, Paul, George, & Ringo.

Be Blessed!
Michael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home