Friday, March 20, 2009

Pub Church Week 11 - The Teachings of Christ; Do they make a difference in your life?

Last week Lara shared some thoughts about some of the imagery of God, Jesus, & The Holy Spirit in William P Young's novel The Shack and highly recommended it. She even brought a copy to lend!

We talked a great deal about the words of Christ and their impact on our lives. I've been reading Phyllis Tickle's The Words of Jesus, which I found while doing research for a red letter bible study that I've been engaged in for many years.

When I first took some steps back toward faith years ago I was very critical of other people's statements of faith especially when they didn't sound like what I remembered from years of Catholic school education. A Sunday School leader thought I might enjoy a red letter bible. I had never heard of that. She explained that it had all of Christ's words printed in red.

Since then I've tried several types of red letter bible studies with youth groups, and evaluate any other scripture in relation to what Jesus himself said. I've actually started writing 3 different books based on the words of Christ, his teachings, and his actions. Regardless of whether I actually finish them, the exercise has focused my own personal study, spiritual practices, and actions.

I guess that's the whole point anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home